Sunday, November 6, 2011

Treadmill weight loss or headache?

Why do I feel like I am running around on a treadmill not getting anywhere? I mean I am sure running on a treadmill may help me loose a few pounds and therefore I could be doing more of it, but I mean as a mother and a business owner, I often feel I am running around and not getting any results. I work through my day trying to keep up.

I keep up with channel updates on the computer such as twitter, blogging etc, keep up with household chores, keep up with business stuff, keep up with children, keep up with friends and family, just constantly keeping up.

Today I realized that is my lack of routine and procedures. Large, successful companies have procedures, they have routines and they often write these down for staff to follow and check off throughout opening, during and closing procedures of their day.

Why am I not doing this at home? I know I only have two kids under 2, but does that mean we can fly by the seat of our pants and just chase our tail and try to get things done and survive the day. I feel this way too often. I took one small step to change this tonight. I made a nighttime routine. I mean we do one already, not always in the same order of course. We always end up brushing teeth, having a snack, going potty etc.

How healthy is this for our kids? I was reading online about how routines are vital to the development of children and how having a night time routine triggers parts of the brain to help produce melatonin to get our body ready for bed. Children especially crave routine and they will have better sleep in the process. Read more on my favourite website for new parent information:

http://www.babycenter.ca/toddler/sleep/bedtimeroutines/#10

So tonight I wrote down the nighttime routine. I wrote PJ's, Brush Teeth, Book etc... and then beside each word I put a picture of a cartoon signing that word. (the SIGNING mom I am) www.stickyhands.ca That way my son can read what each one is, as he knows all the signs. He loved it! We tried it out tonight and he felt so proud that he could tell me what was next.

Just like adults children crave predictability. Remember your first day or week at a brand new job. You didn't know the routine, you felt like a fish out of water wondering what to expect next? After a few weeks, it felt better to know where to have your lunch, what time work starts and ends, who to go to for questions, and where to store your lunch. In fact after a month, adults pride themselves in knowing the procedures at work and are apt to want to help out new comers and show them the ropes.

Why would children be any different. They crave that same routine. I saw the pride in my son tonight when he could tell me what was next on his bedtime routine. We keep it in the bathroom as most of the routine is in there. I also laminated it so it would last longer than just paper.

Maybe this small change in my home life will spill over and we could get a routine for mornings or even midday. I am thinking about having some goal setting and weekly planning on Sundays to help get through the week more smoothly.

Then I can take that treadmill time I was wasting running around on deadlines and use that time to play with children, spend more time with my hubby, or heaven forbid, take time for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment