Thursday, August 8, 2013

Week 5 - Remain present.

Welcome to the Peaceful Parenting Challenge Blog Carnival: Week #4 – Practicing Presence
This post was written for inclusion in the 10 Week Peaceful Parenting Challenge Blog Carnival hosted by Prenatal to Parenting. This week our participants have written about Practicing Presence.. We hope you enjoy this week’s posts and consider joining us next week when we share about a week of Developing Positive Self-Talk.

I found this week to be quite easy. Maybe because I practice this a lot. I often will stop what I am doing be it dishes, laundry, watching a show, reading a book when my children ask me a question. I try to remember to scoot down to their eye level and make sure they are aware that I am fully present and listening. I find this to be so effective for our bonding and our communication.

My boys are also very confident to say, "Mommy, can you shut off your tv I have a question." From a 4 year old, I love this kind of self assurance. My husband also likes to look me in the eye, making me aware and present.

I think my family communicate very well together. I stop what I am doing to listen and respond to my children throughout the day. Even if I have a friend over, I ask them to hold on a sec and I turn and face my child and make sure I listen. It beats listening to whining and I find if I address their issues and concerns right away, they are easily solved and they move on quickly to the next thing and I am able to continue what I was doing.

As for listening to any meditation tapes, I didn't find or make the time to do that. But we did try kid yoga together, which my 4 year old enjoys and is getting good at, but my 2 year old thinks when I do downward dog, it's time to for him to play mom is a horsie ride!

Til next week.

-Amanda
www.stickyhands.ca


Sweet Sleepy Time– Sarah from Prenatal to Parenting realizes that by focusing on all the things that she 'could' be doing she was missing out on what she 'was' doing.
Week 5 Practicing Presence – Jennifer from Children’s Directory finds it’s easier to practice presence when there is no Wi-Fi available.
Being Present – Peaceful Parenting Challenge – Week 5  - Katrina from Kalem Photography learns to listen not only with her ears but also with her heart.
Practicing Presence – Ricky from Daddy Blogger has a wonderful time waiting for the ferry.
Week 5 - Remain present – Amanda from Sticky Hands has got this presence thing nailed.
KICK THE PANTS! - WEEK 5-- LISTEN UP WILL YOU? - Kathryn from Curiosity and the Kat finds it ironic that she’s learned all this before.
Being present can bring great gifts– Lolly from My Journey Home feels she still has some work to do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment