Thursday, August 22, 2013

Week 7 - Watch Your Language!

Welcome to the Peaceful Parenting Challenge Blog Carnival: Week #7-Watch Your Language
This post was written for inclusion in the 10 Week Peaceful Parenting Challenge Blog Carnival hosted by Prenatal to Parenting. This week our participants have written about using positive language with others. We hope you enjoy this week’s posts and consider joining us next week when we share about a week of unplugging.

Watch your language and I don't mean your teenagers, I mean yours! The parent!

So much of what we say affect our children. In the first 5 years, everything we do and say will affect your child's personality. It's amazing how much our 'little ones' sound JUST like us when they are angry and vocal. We laugh and we may even feel a bit embarrassed, but it is more serious than that. What we say to them, around them, at them, will indeed affect them for the rest of their life, whether we believe it or not. The scientific research has been done again and again.

I try to be as careful as I can around my boys when I talk. The thing is, when I read this assignment this week, I realized that I tend to not be as careful around my husband. I tend to let the negative verbal diarrhea fly once the kids are in bed. What an awful way to spend an evening. Complaining and letting your frustrations vent at night with your husband is not the way to grow a relationship. This week I have been more aware and consciously working at being more positive around my husband. If I want to vent, pout or get out my aggressions, I write them down in a book and I don't share it. I only want to share what I want to get back in my life and that is a positive warm feeling.

You get back what  you think about most of the time! Positive language comes from positive thinking. You must first feed your brain positive books, shows, information and people. You need to focus on things that make you feel happy. Think of positive experiences you have had or want to have. Then follow those with positive thoughts and positive words. Start saying out loud things you love and things you want to happen.

Happy Parenting!

Amanda
www.stickyhands.ca


Please take time to read the submissions by the other carnival participants:
Tips for making the Positive Comments outweigh the negative in your child’s day - Sarah from Prenatal to Parenting shares a startling stat and asks for your help in changing the numbers.
How to talk to your kids – Amy from The Connection We Share discovers the power of using positive language with your kids.
Watch Your Words - Amber from Strocel.com feels better about her parenting when she’s using more positive language.
The Power of Words - Peaceful Parenting Challenge Week 7 - Katrina from Kalem Photography is trying to figure out positive phrasing for some things she’d like her 2 year old to stop doing.  
Week 7 - Watch Your Language!– Amanda from Sticky Hands suggests we start saying out loud things you love and things you want to happen.

Language and Distractions- Peaceful Parenting Challenge: Week 7 -Kathryn from Curiosity and the Kat is a bit distracted.

Watch Your Language! -Lolly from My Journey Home is attempting to communicate positively with her teen.

2 comments:

  1. Great post. I'm learning that more than just the words we say around our kids, it's the way we are period. There needs to be a desire to become a positive person all round. Choosing positive friends. Choosing to have a positive, loving relationship with our spouse. Then, the way that we are and talk around our kids isn't so much of a stretch.

    ReplyDelete